Here’s a powerful little trick to use to help you realize your weight loss goal… Start with the end of your program!
Yes, that’s right. Most people start a new diet with only the beginning in mind and that is a mistake! Sure, maybe you know what size you want to be or how many pounds you hope to lose but chances are you haven’t thought much further than that.
Before your food arrives (perhaps as you are fasting), is an optimal time to really think about what the New You will be like. Visualizing and writing down what you will be like in detail is a highly effective tool to guide you to your success. It works by focusing your brain to subconsciously help you towards your goal, even weeks later after you have ‘forgotten’ this exercise. You can do this midstream in your program too—this will still work for you!
For this exercise, close out your note-taking app and put down your computer or phone. Get an old fashioned pen and paper instead. Let’s leverage the art of the hand-written note right now and start thinking about what your goal really means to you. Find a quiet space, maybe even cozy up with a cup of tea or coffee and write down what the New You will be like.
Remember, being fit isn’t just about the scale or size, there is way more to it than that. (Honestly speaking, when those other things start to align in your life, scale weight and pant size are small potatoes.) Here are some pointers to get you started in thinking about the big picture…
• How will your new lean body feel?
• How much more energy will you have to do the things you love?
• What will your new confidence do for your life and relationships?
• How will your more positive outlook change things for you?
• What is it going to feel like to not be ‘stuck’ anymore?
• Who is going to be inspired and motivated by your changes?
• How does it feel to have finally stopped procrastinating?
• How do you feel about ‘someday your dreams will come true’ being TODAY?
• What will being in control of your life and your body be like?
After you have written everything down, be sure to store your note in a safe place. At this point, you can even scan it into your computer or phone to look at once in a while.
Notes like these have a funny way of popping up just when you need to see them as a reminder to stay on track…and even better, as a reminder of how far you have come.
Here’s to your success, and the New You!
-Personal Trainer Food